Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Think I'll go to Boston... Think I'll start a new life...

Boston skyline from Spectacle Island

Yeah, odd how that Augustana song came out right around the time I got into grad school. So I've made the big move (though, it will probably only be for the year) up to the Boston metro area. Doesn't have the same ring to it as the DC metro area, but why not try another city on the east coast?

The whole family got together (plus Gordon) to help me move on Saturday. What a long trip that was! We got everything moved in to my apartment and now a few days later and my room is all set up - pictures hung and everything! As I mentioned before, I have 2 roommates and the apartment is great! It's like a Chapel Hill apartment except in New England!


Yesterday, I ventured into Boston to see what's what in the city. Also, I heard that Mandy Moore was playing in the city, so I had to go see - because I heart her! She sang only stuff from Wild Hope (her new and completely different album). Someone rudely yelled out for her to sing Candy, but honestly, that song was CRAP. Here's a clip of her singing "All Good Things" - my favorite song on her album.

So after going to her free concert at the Prudential Center (they have shops there, though I only went into the B & N), I went up to Faneuil Hall for some Boston sightseeing and people watching. Faneuil Hall (if you don't know) is a big marketplace and with shopping and eating. I would liken it to Covent Garden in London, but with more touristy things.


Faneuil Hall with Samuel Adams statue.


Big highlight: Wagamama! A great noodle bar from London that just opened their first two American stores in Boston (lucky!). DC needs to get a Wagamama and Boston needs to get a Five Guys. Just found out the closest Five Guys is in Connecticut! Grrrr.


I also took the ferry to one of the newest National Parks - the Harbor Islands. On a tip from Katie, I decided on a whim to take the ferry out to Spectacle Island which boasts a great view of the Boston skyline. It's true! The ferry ride out to the islands is cool (it was nice to watch the city drift away) and they run pretty often, so you can stay for as long or as little as you'd like. I even got to see the pebbly beaches (not too rocky, Jen). The island is actually built on top of a landfill (but you wouldn't guess it as it looks like pretty clean). Learn more about Spectacle Island here. Anyway, I definitely want to go back and check out the other islands and get in some hiking and possible camping (before the winter hits that is). I didn't get a lot of time on the island because I had to go check out Mandy again back in the city.



Me on Spectacle.



After the beach excursion, it was on to the Borders in Downtown Crossing (another large shopping area) to see Mandy give an interview, sing a couple of songs, and sign cds. The interview I wasn't too interested in because it was conducted by a life coach and I don't know how I feel about those. Especially ones that are emaciated and fake looking - what kind of advice can they give?? I waited in line (not too long, because I don't like to wait in lines) to get Mandy's autograph, but it kind of sucked because they weren't allowing pictures with her. I'm not really one for autographs, but since we were denied pictures (much cooler) I'll take it. Though... I didn't like having to buy another copy of Wild Hope - that's all she would sign and I forgot my copy at home!


So that was my trip into Boston/slightly stalking Mandy Moore. :) I definitely will be going back into the city this week to do the other touristy things (best to get them out of the way early on) like the Freedom Trail, Harvard Square, and the Museum of Fine Arts. I also want to get back to the Harbor Islands and check out Little Brewster Island (oldest lighthouse site in the country -1716).

It is still kind of weird to be living here and not just visiting... and I'm still freaked out about starting school!

2 comments:

jen said...

I wanna visit Boston. Check out all the cool stuff so that when we come visit you'll know what to do!

Anonymous said...

you didn't mention dr pepper icee? i wish i had one of those