Saturday, August 12, 2006

Truly Outrageous...


Remember the show Jem? Like... Jem and the Holograms? I think it was only on for like 3 or 4 seasons back in the '80s. It was about this rich girl (Jerrica) who led a double life as a pink-haired rock star (Jem). And she would press on her cool star earring and say, "Showtime, Synergy" and she would become Jem-- with the crazy pink hair, geometric patterned clothes, and tons of eye makeup. They don't make cool shows like that for kids. Animation is dead-- giving way for CGI (like Pixar movies).

How truly outrageous is this... because animation is dead and because there must be TONS of mid-twenties women who watched Jem as a kid... Seasons 1 and 2 of Jem on DVD are like $88.00!?!? That's highway robbery! But I want it. :( I would consider buying Jem on DVD if it were like 30... maybe even 40 dollars, but not 88. Thank goodness for NetFlix! We're watching Season 3 now-- Season 1 and 2 are still very very hard to get on NetFlix even. It's good! Very cheesy writing, and now that I think about it-- Jem kind of had horrendous clothes (but then again, didn't we all back in the '80s?) and her eye makeup was more bozo the clown than punk rocker. The songs, though, are still cool-- as I've been able to remember them for like the last 20 years. And it was a cool concept for a kids show. Even dealing with some hard themes like losing a father, hate crimes, and winning and losing friends. See... they just don't make them like they used to.

Show's over, Synergy.

6 comments:

Katie said...

Yay for a Julie blog! I've been waiting awhile for this and figured that you would cave eventually! :)

and just for the record: I still have no idea who Jem is...I don't think I ever saw it (unlike Space Camp!)

julie said...

Katie... you have seen space camp! jem is the best cartoon ever!

julie said...

NO WAY Kathryn! That's so cool! A kite? With Jem and the Holograms... I wish I had that.

Anonymous said...

My wife got 7 "volumes" of this nonsense off of ebay a few years ago. This is the very definition of a girl thing.

Anonymous said...

if you had to be a misfit, which misfit would you be? i'd be the mean one with a british accent, because while being mean, you get to speak in a cool accent

julie said...

I'd be Jetta too-- the british one. She was a hardcore misfit. But I also like Stormer... the nicest of the misfits. Pizzazz was DUMB DUMB DUMB... and Roxy was ugly.