Friday, November 10, 2006

Dear Metro Rider...





I'm one of those people. You know the ones. The ones that sigh in exasperation when you use your paper farecard and you hold up my morning and evening commute. The ones that curse under their breath when you stand on the left of the escalator I'm running up. The ones that give you the mean look when you and your tourist family are standing at the doors when the stop for the Smithsonian metro is five (5!) stops away. I'm the one who isn't talking on her cellphone on an otherwise quiet train... but is forced to listen to you talking about how you hooked up with that cute guy from work and nobody knows yet-- we do now. Yes, I'm talking to you. I know who you are. You're the one who takes up both seats on the metro-- one for yourself and the other for your jam-packed CVS bag, file folder laden backpack, and smelly gym bag.

However, I'm also the one that actually waits on the escalator and stands on the right (I'm allowed-- it's the rules) as you're rushing by with your clickety clack heels a-racing. On the weekends, I'm in no hurry... because it's the weekend. At Dupont Circle, I don't care if your running late meeting your friends (who are already drunk) at Cloud or Lucky Bar or whatever's the "cool" place to hang out.

I love Metro. I love the SmarTrip cards, the signs that tell you when the train is coming (when they are working), the non-smoking (when people follow the rules) in every station, and the coming-soon-to-a-station-near-you express lanes for only SmarTrip holders. Joy may like her NY subway with it's who-knows-when-the-train-is-coming platforms, station stops every 1.2 seconds, and flimsy, lose them in your bag Metrocards (at least they're not tokens anymore). I'll take my walking for 2 blocks to work even after taking the train 3 stops.

What I don't like about Metro (besides the above mentioned Metro don'ts)? 3 years ago, Metro was strict about their rules about no food or drink on the train or in the station. Remember in 2000-- they arrested that little kid for eating french fries in the station? I don't think we should go back to that. There are other crimes-- drugs, drive-bys, and school shootings-- to deal with instead of Metro riders that can't get on the metro when they're done eating. I think it's sad that there even has to be a rule about eating or drinking. Honestly... do YOU want gross gigantic rats running around in the stations and across your feet? Do YOU want someone's left over apple core or Starbucks latte sitting in the only open seat on a packed train with 6 more stops until you get off? No thanks.

It's a love/hate relationship I have with Metro... but not with the Metro workers or Metro in general. It's with the people who don't even care that other people would rather not have a disgusting train to get on. And I think we could all get along. To you, Metro Rider, I say... I won't get annoyed if you stop acting annoying. And everybody wins!

See you on the Red Line--

Julie


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAH. Stoopid Metro riders. I don't like the ones who don't share the poles with you. Garrumph.

Gordon said...

i hope that you talk about all the crazies in your next post...i don't think there will ever be too much to say about dumb people on the metro.

Katie said...

Remember when I was afraid of the metro? Those were fun times...but be nice to the people with paper tickets (that's me) sometimes it's not your fault if it doesn't work!