Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Great Falls Park... not so great?

So after visiting the Pope-Leighey house, we drove to Great Falls Park-- not really that close to the Pope-Leighey, but we figured we had a car, might as well drive it somewhere. I've always heard about Great Falls Park in Virginia. I heard about great climbing, great kayaking, and it's a park, so I thought that I would love it.



Here's what the NPS has to say about Great Falls Park:


Great Falls Park, a site that is part of the George Washington Memorial Parkway,
is an 800 acre park located along the Potomac River 14 miles upriver from
Washington D.C. The park is known for two things, its scenic beauty at the head
of Potomac River fall line and the historic Patowmack Canal.


Here's what I have to say about Great Falls Park:

It was kind of like Jellystone Park-- you know, from Yogi the Bear cartoons. Tons of people, tons of trash (it kinda smelled like it too), concessions stands, and 2 minute "trails" that led to the Falls. The Falls? Kind of cool-- a little foamy (like the gross, marshmallow-y foam that you find in rivers and lakes), some trash (Hey, look at that trash nest!), but it looked like it had some good rapids. There were some kayakers, but they didn't really do much while I was watching.

There were SO many people at the park! It was weird. It wasn't like being in any national park that I've been to. Like at Glacier, you only really see people on the really popular hikes, or at the hotels. In Great Falls, there were people everywhere. And it was such a crowded space that it was very claustrophbic. They have straight level trails (thanks to some wooden planks and boards) that lead you right to an overlook of the Falls. It wasn't like Glacier where you have to hike for at least half an hour to see something a cool.

I guess Great Falls is good for that "weekend warrior" who wants to get outside (outside being out of their offices and straight into a picnic area). I think I was expecting too much. Maybe next time I should try out the rock climbing-- I've heard it's actually pretty good.

Here's what the NPS has to say about Glacier National Park:

Come and experience Glacier National Park's pristine forests, alpine
meadows, rugged mountains, and lakes. With over 700 miles of trails, Glacier is
a hiker's paradise for adventurous visitors seeking wilderness and solitude.
Relive the days of old through historic chalets, lodges, transportation, and
stories of Native Americans. Explore Glacier National Park and discover what
awaits you.


I know, I know... I'm not being fair to Great Falls, but I can't help it. Glacier is the best park there is-- and I'm not biased at all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww. i like great falls.

Katie said...

yeah...I've figured something out...after you've been to Glacier...nothing is as cool...NOTHING. New Zealand was nice and beautiful and all...but Glacier has my heart.

I like the new blog format but sometimes it confuses me cause you change it everyday! :) I think (as the page is loading)..."is this Julie's blog?...oh wait...yes...yes it is."

Umm...let's move to Portland together!